The Domestic Animal Rescue Group (DARG) rescues, cares for, sterilises and rehomes previously unwanted, abused, neglected and abandoned cats and dogs. This pro-life, registered non-profit animal welfare organisation provides a crucial role for the impoverished communities of Imizamo Yethu, Hangberg, and the greater Hout Bay area in the Western Cape.
DARG boasts an extensive cat garden and sanctuary, and outdoor and indoor kennels to provide comfortable shelter for its rescues, as well as special indoor rooms for animals undergoing treatment or rehabilitation. DARG relies entirely on the public’s generosity and support through donations to stay afloat.
How you can help
Food donations for dogs and cats are always appreciated, particularly dry food, but also tins and pouches of wet food. Donations can be dropped off at the DARG shelter daily. There are also many specific things we need for our residents.
For the dogs and puppies:
- Second-hand or new dog agility equipment. Why? We’ve started basic training and confidence development for our canines to keep them occupied and increase their chances of adoption.
- Plastic “half-shells” or big plastic bathtubs. Why? We’re upgrading our kennel areas to make more stimulating environments for the dogs.
- “Brain” toys and chewies. Why? To keep our dogs’ brains stimulated. Kongs, chew toys, treat balls, bones, etc. are all urgently needed.
- Sugar-free peanut butter (no artificial sweeteners), polony, dog biscuits and other treats. Why? Because the dogs love it and we make “yummies” to keep them stimulated and entertained.
For the cats and kittens:
- Catnip. Need we explain why? The cats love it; they roll in it, eat it and it makes them happy.
- Old newspapers and shredded paper. Why? To line the cat litter boxes.
- Cat toys: these keep our cats’ brains stimulated.
Become a valued DARG Supporter by donating to help the animals in their care, or be part of the R50-A-Month-Pledge Campaign. We also have a Sponsor-a-Snip programme which provides free sterilisation to low-income areas in Hout Bay to help control unwanted pet litters.
Bank details for donations:
Branch code: 201409
Ref.: your telephone number/or email address
Use Payfast to make a quick, secure and once-off payment